Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Vandy Christmas to Remember

I am the rightful Queen of all the Procrastinators. Seriously. My children should wear shirts that say “My mom can procrastinate longer than your mom.” Oh… note to self… market and sell procrastinating mom t-shirts. Someday.


I put off Christmas shopping until the absolute last moment. Literally. The day before Christmas. It didn’t bother me much however, the big, round, jolly guy was going to get most of the credit for the Christmas presents this year, so there really wasn’t much to wrap and display under the tree. BUT I pulled it off, amazingly. And there was no stress or hustle or bustle. It was just plain chill. It was utterly, unquestionably, entirely perfect. I didn’t overspend (like I have done in every single previous Christmas) and I felt proud of every gift I bought like I had gotten everyone everything they wanted. I put weeks of thought into my lists and maybe that’s what made it so easy.

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 19
So the Vandy Christmas to Remember started the Sunday before Christmas at my Uncle Kent and Belinda’s house. I love spending time with my mom’s only brother’s family… my cousins Kalli (18) and Koby (15) are getting so big!
My cousin-Kalli, sister-Lori, and me

We only get presents for the kiddos and the Spurgin’s hit the jackpot by getting my boys SPYGEAR! Both boys were very gracious while opening their gifts and I hope that made my aunt and uncle proud of their gifts. You know that feeling when your child opens a gift and there’s that one anxious moment of “Please don’t say something rude. Please don’t say something rude.” Belinda wrapped two of the gifts together because she didn’t know which gift to give which boy so she thought she’d let them choose. The boys opened the gift together and there was a 3 second pause when the room went silent because we were all waiting to see what they’d say. Please see aforementioned for exactly what I was hoping they WOULD NOT say. The video below shows the boys opening the present (watch closely, it happens fast), the pause (an obvious “processing” pause), and the entire room bursting out in laughter. It was outrageously hilarious and we laughed about it for hours.


We also took LOTS of pictures. The next video is of Jackson being thankful for his presents as Belinda was taking a picture, but please take special not of me “willing” my child to smile big for the camera.


More pictures from the Spurgin Family Christmas:







FRIDAY, DECEMBER 24

This is the first year since Jeremy has been in the fire service that we got to have him home for both Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day! Christmas Eve night we spent with the Philips’ and Jeremy’s mom. Our tradition is to EAT A LOT OF FOOD and then watch inappropriate holiday movies. It’s just what we do. Last year we watched the Hangover and this Thanksgiving we watched The Expendables. We are just gruesomely-spirited like that. This year I got Deneen and Albert (Jeremy’s sister and bro-in-law) four REALLY GOOD movies: The A-Team, Inception, The Other Guys, and Salt. We watched The Other Guys to fulfill our ghastly holiday tradition this year.


I was so excited to give everyone their gifts too! We made Alex (my 14-yr-old nephew) go first. I just upgraded to the iPhone 4—WAY COOL— on Christmas Eve and we decided to give my old phone to Alex. He has been begging to buy it from us that is, whenever HE got the money. He was super stoked to get the phone. In fact, I think he even said “thanks” more than once. Ah… makes it all worth it. We got it all illegally hooked up that night. Yeah us!


We got AJ (19 yr-old-nephew who lives with us, also called my nanny) a dock for his iPhone (which is actually Jeremy’s old iPhone since he has the 4 as well) that way he would quite stealing mine. No joke, he would come into my room daily to get my iPod dock out of my bathroom and take it into his bathroom and leave it there until I came and stole it back that night. I think that was his evil master plan to make me just buy him one. It worked.


We got Helen her very own air mattress and air pump. She always asks to use ours and I hope that it will make her feel like she can have more guests at her house.



Gigi (my mom) took Grayson to the store weeks ago and he saw and apple slicer and convinced Gigi to buy it for his Granny. I had no idea why he wanted to get her THAT. He wrapped it in a bag himself and gave it to her. She almost cried. She told us that they always eat apples together at her house. My sweet Gray Ray. He’s gonna make one helluva husband one day.


More pictures from the Phillip’s Family Christmas:






SATURDAY, DECEMBER 25

Santa was very generous to the Vandagriff’s this year. Jackson was heart-broken that I decided to give Alex my old phone instead of him (which I had originally promised) however, Santa showed me up by bringing Jackson his very own iPhone 3GS. It is better than my old one!


0 comments:

Post a Comment