Saturday, July 7, 2012

Oh Happy Day! 11 Things I love About my Husband

Instead of sounding cliche or saying the things I think I'm supposed to say on anniversaries, lemme just start with this. Holy cow, we made it 11 years. I thought I was gonna kill him after 5. But I didn't. And thank God for that because he's kinda grown on me. We've had our ups and downs and blah, blah, blah. So has everyone else who's taken those vows and if you haven't, they're coming. Don't worry. But for me and my man, 11 years is something to celebrate. So we're going to do just that. By getting another tattoo. Maybe. I haven't cleared that with him yet, but regardless, we're not taking some fabulous trip to the Caribbean. We're not going to some swanky restaurant. We're not buying each other expensive gifts that we sweat over for weeks hoping that it's the "right" something. We're going to celebrate by just being us. We're having a date night like we do every week. And like we will continue to do every week until our next anniversary.
However, to commemorate 11 years with Jeremy, I composed a list of the top 11 things I love about him.

** In no particular order **

1. He's so frickin' handsome. He has the bluest eyes and the longest lashes I've ever seen (no he has never ever let me put mascara on him. And I've begged a gajillion times). His hair is naturally blonde and he's got the greatest most perfect nose. I can remember the first time I actually noticed him. I was totally smitten by his looks alone. He was a cocky 20 something (ok ok he was 19) with his hat turned slightly sideways looking out from under those long lashes. Yep, I was done.

2. He's a hero. I mean a real live hero. He has the most selfless job in the world and he thinks it's no big deal. He doesn't even know what a big deal he is. He's the first one in and the last one out of burning buildings and risks his life for stupid drivers in the highway. He gets up in the middle of the night because some idiot got in a drunken fight and is bleeding. He sleeps away from home 4 months out of the year. He misses holidays and birthdays and anniversaries. He's a fire fighter. He's a flipping rock star fire fighter.

3. He knows all the words to '90s rap songs and '80s rock music. He raps with conviction and sings like he's on stage and I love every minute of it. He may not sing in tune or sound as suave as LL Cool J, but he can bop his head on beat and play the umph out of some air drums. And he loves concerts as much as I do. We rock out like we're in the front row. It's good times. The BEST times.

4. He's a baller. Yea, yea maybe we've all gotten a little slower with age, but he's just do damn good at almost everything he does. He's so intimidating when he's playing sports (which could mainly be because he talks so much trash) but I'm scared of him. On the field of course. I mean if I was the captain of the kickball team he's the FIRST kid on the playground I'm picking for my team. When we were younger we used to play all kinds of sports together. We used to play half court basketball or sand volleyball and go bowling or flag football and of course play softball. We've been playing coed softball together since we met more than 12 years ago. That's my favorite :) we still play together today. We aren't as fast as we used to be and there's a lot more beer drinking going on but we're still a packaged deal.

5. I adore his laugh. When he gets tickled about something, I can't help but smile. His idea and my idea of "humorous" differ... um... slightly, but I still love to hear him laugh. It really never gets annoying. Except when I'm mad at him. We'll have just argued about something and while I'm "calming down" in the next room, he'll be laughing at something on TV and he'll get to cackling and carrying on and I can't help but smile. It instantly puts me in a better mood. But don't tell him I said that.

6. White boy can dance. No really, you should see him do the Carlton. It's greatness. I make him do it at almost every get together we go to (which he does-- something else I love about him-- doing the Carlton on cue). And when he's really feeling good, he'll dance like no one is watching (which everyone is) and he won't give two shhhhts what anyone else thinks. It really is greatness. I hope you get to see it one day, and if you have, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

7. He does his own laundry. Always. Period.

8. He loves my mom and dad. In fact, he thinks THEY love him more than they love me. Not true. We go to their house EVERY Sunday for lunch and it is never a chore for him. He feels comfortable in their home. He does things for them, like... well, whatever my dad tells him to do. He has NEVER said a derogatory thing about them. He respects them. He admires them. I admire him for that.

9. He drives a truck. With 22" rims and a loud muffler. Uhh. And dark tinted windows. And before that he drove a mustang. A MUSTANG. WHAT. And before that he drove another truck and before that he drove a purple S10. WHAT. My manly man. He's such a pimp. And I mean that in the most non-degrading, non-disparaging most uplifting, complimentary way possible.

10. He loves his mother. Dearly. Sometimes I even get a teeeeency bit jealous of how much he loves her (but he can still be quite the smart a$$ as well) but he is good to her. He sets a good example for our boys of how they should treat their mother.

11. He loves me. And I'm difficult to love at times. But he does and I KNOW he does. He's my number one fan even though he doesn't always tell me to my face. I know he's rooting for me. He talks about me behind my back- not a bad thing. The fact is... he talks about me. I'm on his mind. That's makes my heart smile. The other day I was at the dentist for my cleaning (of which Jeremy had gone a day before me) and the hygienist said "Well I heard that you blah, blah, blah..." (a good blah, blah, blah) but a blah, blah, blah she heard about ME FROM Jeremy. He talked about ME :) He's rooting for me :) He loves ME!

OH! And he randomly brings me Starbucks Venti White Chocolate Mocha on his way home from the fire station. Be oh so jealous. (Ok so that was 12 but the coffee thing is pretty frickin bad a$$)

I'm ONE LUCKY GAL, huh?

I love you Jeremy... to the moon and back...

Happy Anniversary Love!

(11 pics of Jeremy and me to celebrate 11 years of marriage)











2 comments:

Amy Pratt said...

LOVE it!!!!! Happy Anniversary to you guys!!!!!

Misty said...

So sweet. Happy anniversary!

Post a Comment